Do you feel the topic to be a tab bit weird to be writing about? Well, even I thought so as the seeds of this post first germinated inside my mind. I settled down on my not-so-cozy hostel bed, took out my diary and my fancy pen and started scribbling down the ‘important’ points that rushed to my mind when I recollected all those times when my heart and soul ached for a window seat on a journey. Each time I closed my eyes invitingly to let the memories revisit me, I was generously blessed with a shower of unexpected thoughts on the journeys I have made in my life. I am not a globe-trotter, nor have I been to anywhere outside our country. The places I have visited are limited to a few prominent states and the landmarks they proudly advertise, as most journeys would have been made tagged with an imminent entrance exam, or a temple visit. Nevertheless, the outpour of nostalgia struck me hard and I was happy that I decided to write this post anyway.
Who wouldn’t love a window seat? Whether it be a car, a bus, a train or an airplane, wouldn’t window seat be the most preferred one by the majority of travellers? Love is not blind in this context and there indeed are several reasons for a traveller to prefer a window seat over a middle one or an aisle. Even though the introduction might sound grave, I would like my readers to take this post with a pinch of salt, as the points mentioned here are solely for the purpose of viewing the whole drama from a fun point of view.
So, shall we move onto the six points that my reasoning presented me with when thrown this question?
- Those of you who have read me before would know the recurring ingredient of nature in my short stories. I am an ardent admirer of the magnificence that is nature and I would vouch for the pacifying element ingrained in any aspect of nature, anywhere, anytime. Hence, the most important benefit of opting a window seat, according to me, is that you are able to register the diverse ingredients of nature – the placid lakes, the gurgling rivulets, the fresh green formidable trees, the mesmerising canvas that is sky, among many.
- Who wouldn’t love a steady blast of icy wind brushing against their supple skin, intending to soothe you down by its mere touch? A strong, constant spray would be inconvenient for girls, but you can always cover your head with a scarf. I can sit for hours at a stretch listening to the interesting stories the breeze carries with it from the yore, melting in it, only to be redeemed afresh at the end of the journey.
- The world scurrying past you in a jiffy as the vehicle moves, definitely grants you that much needed adventure you have been pining for to set a good start to your day while on the ride to your office.
- When stuck in a new city, one would be wary of the many vagaries one might be confounded with , ranging from the grocery store to the supermarket, from the stationary shop to a decent restaurant. Embarking on a ride by the local bus, letting your eyes graze the nooks and corners of a fresh city, could offer you an easy manner by which you are provided a demonstration of the many places you might want to halt in your future, when in need for the essential supplies, to keep you going.
- Tell me, have you taken a ride by the local bus or train and visited a place for the first time alone? Have you wished you were sitting by the window seat so that you could have a clearer view of the train stops/ town names to enable you to alight at your stop at the right time? Now, that is another good thing about opting for the window seat. Also, it lets you memorise the names of the important towns and streets of the city you have moved in recently, which would anyhow be useful in your future stay in the place.
- If you a regular user of the public transport, you will know by now that you will be invariably pushed and taunted if you pick an aisle seat at the peak hours of the day. Sitting jammed between sweaty bodies might not be a fruitful idea too. In addition to the peace a window seat provides you in such conditions, it even enables you to sleep for a few minutes leaning onto the window pane, if your job needs you to be alive and kicking in the early hours of the morning.
There ends my informal list of reasons for choosing a window seat while you travel and I do hope, you might resort to one the next time you find yourself in a mode of transport. Remember me then, won’t you?
Before you leave, fill me in if you have anything more to add to this list celebrating the love for window seats. I am all ears 🙂